Dear CCF UK Friends, Volunteers and Supporters,
I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know how much we are thinking of you and your families – be they near or far – at this difficult and challenging time. I also wanted to update you on the measures CCF will be taking throughout our operations, to help stop the spread of Covid-19 and so we can safely continue with our mission to save the cheetah.
At CCF’s HQ in Namibia, whilst our educational programmes have been paused, and our centre closed to visitors to ensure we don’t put our farming community, staff, students, and tourists at risk, we wanted to assure you that we are continuing our vital conservation work to secure a future for the cheetah and the communities who share its landscape:
- We will keep our centres running with our core staff to provide care for the 39 resident orphaned cheetahs living at our Centre in Namibia as well as the 34 cheetahs confiscated from the illegal wildlife trade at our cheetah Safe Houses in Somaliland;
- We continue with our genetics research. CCF’s Genetics laboratory is one the safest places to be right now, and we have many samples to process in our pursuit of a complete picture of the wild population of cheetahs across Africa;
- We are busy developing new lessons and educational outreach strategies to reach even more students than we did before when we can get back on the road;
- We will continue to work on our model farm – managing CCF’s livestock, livestock guarding dogs, creamery and gardens that serve as the training facilities for countless farmers and students each year;
- We are keeping in touch with farmers and communities and provide services as needed to help reduce conflict and work to live in harmony with cheetahs and livestock.
- Our international work is continuing although some activities such as events and workshops have been delayed.
In the coming weeks, CCF UK will be sharing exciting news of opportunities for how you and your families in the UK can continue to stay engaged with our work.
For now, I wanted to let you know how grateful we are for your continued commitment and support.
With all our good wishes to you and your loved ones,
Dr. Jane Galton